Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2002 10:46:33
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:46:22AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> > In any case, the library extension you mention will not speed up the
> > code outside of the libraries.
>
> Huh!?  Having an overlay listed in ld.so.conf will affect *all* code
> (program or library) using the (shared) libc, without recompiling.

libcrypto in this case.  :)  but I'm sure libc would speed up as well.

> That's the reason, for instance, that libmi387.so exists on the i386
> port.  In that case, everything that uses libm will get the i387
> speedups if an i387 is present, but will use the C emulation (to avoid
> expensive kernel FPU emulation) if not.

putting the smarts into ld.so and "multilibbing" the shared libraries
sounds like the proper way to do it.  the extra processor-specific
libraries could even be distributed separately.

      "[...] I generally haven't found IDM guys to be very good
       live acts, most of them just sit down at their laptop and
       tweak reaktor."  -- Brandon Daniel