Subject: Re: improving ssh performance on sun4m systems
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2002 12:10:25
On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:46:22AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

> : > I can pretty much assume that 80%+ of the speed increase is due to using the
> : > mul/div v8 builtin.  This speed can be achieved without a completely
> : > separate snapshot by implementing the libc v8 extension I mentioned earlier.
> :
> : I'm not sure that's all of it, because programs not using that at all are
> : getting boost, though that might just be from instruction reordering.
>
> Oh, I'm sure there's boost, but I'd be curious to see an analysis.  The
> speed difference between mul/div on v7 and v8 is *huge*.

I know... I'm not just talking about openssl though.  Since this thread
came up, I decided to rebuild everything.

The library change would be very nice since it would give a speedup
to the default, and most users won't want to bother with a total
rebuild of /usr/src.

> : In any case, the library extension you mention will not speed up the code
> : outside of the libraries.
>
> Huh!?  Having an overlay listed in ld.so.conf will affect *all* code
> (program or library) using the (shared) libc, without recompiling.

All you have done here is reaffirm what I said above: this change
affects code *in libraries*, not outside of them.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, just that some people might still
want a v8 version of the sparc build.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com