Subject: Re: Does anyone know what the maximum hard drive
To: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Rafael Hinojosa <rhinojo@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/15/2002 00:47:49
On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Andrew Basterfield wrote:

> My (pizzabox) SS2 came with 2x411Mb full-height Sun harddisks. The much
> newer 2 gig & 4 gig half height drives that I have replaced them with run
> a lot cooler than the Sun originals, they consume less power and have more
> airspace around them because they are smaller, so I consider this an
> improvement. I would agree, however, that the PSU on any sun4c is pretty
> old and the less load you give it and the cooler the box runs the better
> (I will be moving some disks out into 411s when I find some at the right
> price).

I think the SparcStation 2 has room for 2 hard drives.  I'm not sure if
the SS2 has 50-pin SCSI connectors or the SCA connectors like the
SS5.  Okay, if your getting drives from 411 cases, then it must be a
50-pin connector.

You can pretty much fit any size drive in them.  You might want to try
finding some 4 Gig drives or 9 Gig if you need the space.  If you wnat to
avoid heat as much as possible, try to only have one 7200 RPM drive in the
case.  Also, large 50-pin hard drives are becoming very hard to find.  All
of the major manufacturers are only marking 9 Gig (if that) and 18 Gig
50-pin drives, and they are expensive.

As far as power is concerned, newer drives consume less power that older
ones.  You can install 2 drives in the case and you'd still be okay.

--Raf

Rafael A. Hinojosa			rhinojo@sccs.swarthmore.edu