Subject: Re: 501-1910 SBus
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/2002 00:30:57
Greetings!

[big snips]

> > My question is whether there is anything "uniquely desireable" about
> > having a SPARCprinter -- vs. any of the other existing technologies
> > or implementations out there.
>
> - You may be able to get the pieces (printers, cards, maybe even
>   cables) cheap because they're useless on non-SBus machines like the
>   omnipresent peecees.

Understood.

> >> My impression is that coming by the printer and card are
> >> comparatively easy; the hard part is the cable between the two.
> > Thanks, but I think I saw this cable "lying around" (didn't know what
> > it was for so didn't pick it up).  Of course, it probably *won't* be
> > there on  my next visit!  :-/
>
> Be careful.  The cable you want connects to the smaller of the two
> connectors on your 501-1910; the printer end of it is a DB25M.  There
> is another cable that connects to the larger connector on the 501-1910
> and is Centronics on the other end; that's for the bpp, and while it
> may be nice to have it will be of no use with your SPARCprinter.
>
> > But, am I still better off sticking with a "normal" printer (?)
>
> Only you can say. :-)

<grin>  I think I'll try to dig up a duplexer for my lexmark -- at least
it won't need to be "tied" to a SPARC in order to be useful (though
perhaps I'll put an IPC in front of it as a print server?).

Can you -- or anyone else who will *use* it (i.e. not resell it!) -- use
this "Bi-Pro" SBUS card?  Note that I have no idea how/if it works
since I haven't tied it to anything... (my Slowaris box is down temporarily
or I could tell you what *it* has to say about the card...)

--don