Subject: re: HELP Maybe?
To: Linc Fessenden <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/12/2002 15:26:02
   Has anyone noticed anything *wierd* about netbsd 1.5.2 on sun4c's?  I just

sun4c?  an LX is a sun4m.

   got a hold of a nice little LX and broke out my new 1.5.2 set to install
   on there and play a little.  The install goes fine & quick - BUT.....
   After the install on the first boot, the last line displayed before the
   login prompt is :
   rYM=sparc (myhostname here) (console)
   What's with the "rYM" stuff?
   And then, I login..  I type root and hit enter and the cursor never moves
   down - just back to the front of the line where I get:
   ~Password:
   displayed over where the login: was..
   Now after I put in the password my console straightens out fine - it just
   seems wierd to me..  The other thing I noticed is ssh seems
   vvvvveeerrrrryy slow on this, and in some instances just doesn't seem to
   respond at all..  I have had to force ssh -1 a few times to get a reply
   from the machine.. Telnet, however, is blazingly fast - every time.

   Now here's my comparison..  I have an IPC that I installed 1.5 on with no
   probs..  I upgraded it to 1.5.2 by untaring all the binary sets except
   etc.  It's now running 1.5.2 with none of the problems the LX is
   having.  Ssh is reasonably fast, and always answers and it doesn't have
   the "rYM" thing before the arch name, and the initial console login and
   password prompts don't overlap either..

   What am I missing?  Should I drop back to 1.5 and then upgrade this
   machine?  I have been having a lot of little probs like this arize on
   multiple archetectures with 1.5.2...  Is something wrong with this
   release?

i don't know what is causing this but i have an SS5 that used to be
an SS2 whose console has always spewed something interested rather
than ``NetBSD/sparc'' -- seems to be some non-displaying chars as
well.  i don't recall exactly what it looks like and i don't have
easy access to the box but i suspect it has something to do with
some file in /etc (gettytab, or ttys, or something) but i've never
figured it out.