Subject: Re: help identifying my SPARC 10 ?
To: None <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/06/2002 01:35:52
In some email I received from Thilo Manske, sie wrote:
[...]
> > 502 = 50MHz, 0MB 2nd level cache, 2 CPUs (1 board)
> > 512 = 50MHz, 1MB 2nd level cache, 2 CPUs (1 board)
> > (http://mbus.sunhelp.org/misc/game52.htm)
> Yes, I put a note about the "name games" in my first reply.
>
> Quote from that text: "So did the SM52 module (dual-SuperSPARC @ 45MHz) ever
> actually exist? Yes!"

That's an abberation.  Should be called SM4.502 or something ;)

> So the only thing that ever existed with an SM?2 name was a double CPU
> module, the logical conclusion is that SM82 would be a double CPU module as
> well.

Not really.  I think Sun screwed up with the SM52 being a dual 45MHz thing
and should just have abandoned the part altogether.
No place to go, no place to hide, etc.

Nonetheless, 504, 502, 512 are all fairly consitant in name.

> > There are no 6*2, 7*2 or 8*2 boards.
> (Except 61-2 and 81-2).

Well, call them SM62 and SM82 and not SM612 or SM822 or ...

> I guess we all agree now that Sun's mbus module naming scheme was pretty
> confusing/stupid...

Well, it made sense except for that 45MHz part.

Darren