Subject: Re: test net on SPARC 10
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/04/2002 22:56:17
On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 05:53:44PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> Some Sun machines have AUI interfaces, but it's not on a normal DB15F
> connector; it's one of the high-density connectors and you need a
> breakout cable to break it out to "real" AUI.  On the back of my 10 I
> see a high-density connector marked with the same <···> icon that's
> beside the twisted-pair port, so I think the 10 is probably one of
> those machines.
>
> As for where to get the breakout cable, that's anyone's guess.  I've
> seen one, but I'm not sure I own one.  (My 10 is using the twisted-pair
> interface anyway.)

I have such machines too, and yes the high-density connector is AUI.
Also on these machines I couldn't get it to netboot from the UTP
connector. I had to use a AUI/UTP transeiver on the AUI interface.
However I got the on-board UTP working when I used a shorter cable to the
cisco, so it seems especially picky about cable quality (the external
transeiver didn't have any problems with the old cable).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>