Subject: Re: big drives on an SS5
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/04/2002 01:15:31
>> Anyone have any experience with these machines and 18 or 36 GB drives?
> jeps! I have an 18GB Quantum Atlas V in my SS20 (close enough?)
> running NetBSD 1.5.2 and I didn't even stop to think that partition
> or drive sizes might be a problem..

Well, I have a SS10 and I was Extremely Annoyed to discover that the
boot stuff (/boot and /netbsd) must be below the 2G point relative to
their partition base - I have a 9G drive I wanted to make one big
partition.  (The problem is with the ROM routines.  The seek interface
takes a 64-bit offset, but once the offset goes over 2G reads start
failing.) I've been pondering various possibilities, such as adding a
new booter stage so that the boot partition as far as the ROMs are
concerned is a tiny little thing, or making /boot use its own SCSI code
rather than ROM callbacks....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign