Subject: Re: test net on SPARC 10
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/2002 17:53:44
> The network cable is rj45 attached to SPARC 10 TP port.
> But still the network can't work.

Assuming you've tested the cable and whatever's on the other end of it,
and you haven't done anything like used a crossed cable when you need
an uncrossed one, I suspect the hardware of being fried.  See below.

> Seems like the default network port is AUI And not TP.  Anyway I
> cannot see any AUI in the rear of my SPARC 10.

Some Sun machines have AUI interfaces, but it's not on a normal DB15F
connector; it's one of the high-density connectors and you need a
breakout cable to break it out to "real" AUI.  On the back of my 10 I
see a high-density connector marked with the same <···> icon that's
beside the twisted-pair port, so I think the 10 is probably one of
those machines.

As for where to get the breakout cable, that's anyone's guess.  I've
seen one, but I'm not sure I own one.  (My 10 is using the twisted-pair
interface anyway.)

> There is a PROM command to enable UTP network port ?

I've never needed it.  I normally run my 10 diskful, but I find its MAC
address in my diskless server's /etc/ethers, from which I infer I have
netbooted it in the past, which in turn implies that the PROM is
capable of autoselecting the twisted pair port.  (At least for the PROM
rev I have.  Unfortunately I can't conveniently halt the machine right
now to check its PROM code rev.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign