Subject: STOP+A when use-nvramrc?=true
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Blaz Zupan <blaz@inlimbo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/25/2002 21:55:23
Not really a NetBSD specific question, but I hope somebody on this list can
help.

My IPX had a broken NVRAM chip when it arrived (who's didn't) and to my
surprise a friend was able to find a local supplier of the chips, so I
replaced it. Noticing that it keeps the settings just fine now I thought I
might install NetBSD on the thing. Later I noticed that it doesn't want to
autoboot and noticed the "NVRAM bad, replace it"-style message. Searching the
internet, I found out that my new NVRAM is not really 100% compatible with the
IPX (probably I have the Dallas part instead of the Mostek). I also found a
nice workaround, creating a nvramrc script. So now I have "use-nvramrc?=true"
and this script:

probe-all
install-console
banner
boot

But now I noticed that the usual STOP+A combintation to get back into the prom
does not work. When I turn off the nvramrc, it does work again. Does anybody
have a workaround, possibly either in NetBSD or by adding something to the
above nvramrc?