Subject: Re: SPARCstation SLC/ELC
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/25/2002 09:19:03
> For a faster console, you can also check the NetBSD/sparc web page
> and grab the fastcons routines from there (and DO NOT COMPILE IN
> RASTERCONSOLE).

Of course, if you do that you're stuck with the ROM console font, at
80x34 to boot.

> Of course, RASTERCONSOLE works, too -- only the cg6 seems to really
> suffer from RASTERCONSOLE being in there, if I recall correctly...

The cg6 _doesn't_ suffer; that's what all the cg6_ras_ stuff in
dev/sun/cgsix.c is for.  (It used to suffer, quite badly, until I wrote
that goop for it.  Based on how horrible it was, I would guess that a
cgthree would be pretty bad too, though with a fast cpu it's not so
dreadful; I've got a Classic with its onboard cgthree, and it's not
nearly as bad as the pre-acceleration cgsix was.)  And with
RASTERCONSOLE you can use the whole screen area, and use fonts other
than gallant12x22....

Of course, anything that uses the cg6 acceleration for console output -
whether via the ROM code or via RASTERCONSOLE - is liable to do
unpleasant things if it prints anything when you're running anything
else that uses the cg6 acceleration hardware.  (I've had to add "reset
hardware" commands to a couple of my cg6-using programs to deal with
just this issue.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign