Subject: Re: Missing /dev/lp*
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/2002 18:19:26
> I'm attempting to configure my SPARCstation 4 as a print server, but
> I have just noticed I don't have /dev/lp* on the box.

> [root@sparc4/dev # dmesg|grep bpp
> bpp0 at sbus0 slot 4 offset 0xc800000 level 2 (ipl 3): rev 2

/sys/arch/sparc/sparc/conf.c will tell you the major number you need;
in my conf.c, for example, searching for bpp finds

	cdev_gen_init(NMBPP,mbpp),	/* 101 */
and
	cdev_gen_init(NBPP,bpp),	/* 107: on-board parallel port */

101 is for parallel ports on Magma cards; you want 107 (at least if
your conf.c is the same as mine).  Searching for 107 in /dev/MAKEDEV
will tell you whether such devices are created automatically; in my
case, grep turns up no hits, so it's up to me to create the devices:

# mknod /dev/lpt0 c 107 0
# chown (something appropriate) /dev/lpt0
# chmod (something appropriate) /dev/lpt0

If you get hits in MAKEDEV, they may still be in a section that isn't
run my "MAKEDEV all", but at least you don't have to do the mknod
manually.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign