Subject: re: 24-bit color on CG14
To: Charles Carvalho <carvalho@employees.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/24/2002 11:40:25
   I have updated PR# port-sparc/10170 with changes for cgfourteen.c to
   allow 24-bit color.  The changes to this file correct the calculation
   of the display buffer size and allow it to be completely mapped.  The
   frame buffer is still reported to be a CG8 (instead of the default CG3)
   when the 24-bit support is enabled (a compile-time option); however,
   the emulation is incomplete: the CG8 apparently supports 24-bit
   DirectColor (in which the RGB values from the display memory are used
   as indexes into separate red, green, and blue color tables) as well as
   24-bit TrueColor (in which the RGB values are intensities, not
   indexes).  The CG14's color tables are apparently ignored in 24-bit
   mode.  The X server assumes that 24-bit displays support both TrueColor
   and DirectColor by default; with this changed, the server successfully
   runs on the CG14, but this change would affect other platforms as
   [ ... ]

wow, cool.

you should probably post your current changes, so we can
figure out how to integrate them!