Subject: Re: fast serial ports
To: Volker Borchert <bt@csfps.de>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/18/2002 13:47:01
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 10:39:03AM +0100, Volker Borchert wrote:
> In message <20020215113604.A10997@widomaker.com> you write:
>
> |> This sounds good.  You think the other Magma boards are close enough
> |> to get them working with the same driver, just in case I never come
> |> across this particular board?
>
> Well AFAIR the dirver Magma supplies for SunOS is an "all-in-one"
> type which should support any serial/parallel board. So either
> this driver is a really complicated thing, or they have used the
> same chips on all of their boards.

I noticed that, and if I get another small Sun, I might just use it for
the gateway and run SunOS on it.

> |> Yes, and I know about the interrupt storms.
>
> -v please?

Verbose?

Interrupt storms: thousands of interrupts per second from running at
76800bps, and 10-30% CPU usage.  PPP even at 38400bps eats a lot of CPU
on a Sun workstation.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com