Subject: Re: fast serial ports
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2002 14:39:35
>>> [Magma]
>> Yup.  I even made the 2+1HS Sp board I have work with only minimal
>> tweaks to the existing magma driver.
> This sounds good.  You think the other Magma boards are close enough
> to get them working with the same driver, just in case I never come
> across this particular board?

Many of them, yes.  A bunch were already supported (or at least
appeared to be; I couldn't test them, of course).  However, mine
wasn't, and I have some reason I can't go into too much detail about to
think that there are others that aren't but would be easy to add.

>> Does your SS5 use the same horrid 8530s most Suns do for its serial
>> ports?
> Yes, and I know about the interrupt storms.

:-/

> I run my main terminal at 76800 and it's fine, but it doesn't run
> like a modem of course.

Of course.  It's input data rate, not baud rate, that matters; typing
speed at 76800 baud is no more of an interrupt load than typing speed
at 2400 baud.

> But I thought I would try it just to see.

Sure.  May turn out that the machine can handle it without adversely
affecting whatever else you want it to do, in which case, why not....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign