Subject: Re: fast serial ports
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2002 11:36:04
On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:21:57PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> > Not long ago some people were talking about high speed serial ports
> > on the sparc sbus systems.  I think the Magma boards were mentioned.
>
> Yup.  I even made the 2+1HS Sp board I have work with only minimal
> tweaks to the existing magma driver.

This sounds good.  You think the other Magma boards are close enough
to get them working with the same driver, just in case I never come
across this particular board?

I wish there was a driver for the Sun HSI/S board that I have. It looks
to have Zilog parts, but also some asics of some kind too.

It's too bad we can't run SunOS drivers under emulation...

> "It works for me."  It's capable of fairly high data rates; in theory
> mine could go as high as, if I recall the formulas correctly, 2.5
> megabaud.  It's capable of 113636+ baud and 119048- baud, but nothing
> in between.  Both are within most equipment's tolerance of 115200,
> though.

115200 is fine by me... :)

> Does your SS5 use the same horrid 8530s most Suns do for its serial
> ports?

Yes, and I know about the interrupt storms. I run my main terminal at
76800 and it's fine, but it doesn't run like a modem of course.

But I thought I would try it just to see.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist