Subject: SS10 vs 3000/400
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/2002 12:01:55
Dear NetBSD/sparc:

Would someone care to give me an idea of how fast a SPARCstation 10
with dual Ross 150 MHz processors and 128 MB RAM is compared to a DEC
3000/400 Alpha with 96 MB RAM, please?

What are Ross processors anyway--presumably they're manufactured by
Sun and the name is an acronym dreamt up by it?

Is it possible to configure the SS10 so console messages
automatically go to an external console connected to the serial port
while the main monitor is used for X?  (Sorry, I don't have a manual.)

This machine has a second frame buffer installed.  Can that be used
for console messages or another X display, in which case there'd be
one large "desktop" spread across the two monitors?

Ray