Subject: Status of BPP driver in 1.5.2?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim <timwa@snowgoons.fsnet.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/10/2002 14:52:14
Hi all,

I apologise if this has been answered before - I've tried Google &
searched the website, and haven't found anything definitive!

I'd like to use the parallel port in my Sparc Classic to drive
a printer - straight, old fashioned output-only parallel printer, none
of this bidirectional muck.

What's the status of the bpp driver in 1.5.2?  I notice that the
driver is now enabled in the GENERIC kernel, so I assumed it was maybe
working, but equally there is no device node for it in MAKEDEV, so maybe
it isn't :-).  The port-sparc hardware compatibility page reference to
a driver being included but not enabled is obviously out of date ('cos it
is enabled,) and the machine independent SBUS driver page says it is
supported.

Anyway, assuming it does work - if I want to try it, could someone tell
me that major/minor numbers so I can create the device node for it?
Also, are there any other runes I may need to cast (ioctls, etc,)
before I could try using it?

(Is there an easy way of finding out what major num a device is assigned?
I trawled through the source tree for elucidation but gave up :-).

Cheers,
Tim.

For anyone interested, the relevant bits of dmesg are...

mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCclassic
iommu0 at mainbus0 addr 0x10000000: version 0x1/0x4, page-size 4096, range
64MB
sbus0 at iommu0: clock = 25 MHz
bpp0 at sbus0 slot 4 offset 0xc800000 level 2 (ipl 3): rev 2

--
Tim Walls at home in Croydon     -     Reply to tim@snowgoons.fsnet.co.uk