Subject: re: Disk copy grumbles
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/2002 18:20:38

   >> (7.5K isn't really much room, even when you don't have to do the
   >> actual disk I/O yourself.)
   > I guess that's relative... designed a LORAN-C position plotter in
   > *12K* (and that had to do *all* the I/O as well  :>)

   Perhaps your skill at tightening code up would be valuable in this
   endeavour.  Fitting functionality into small amounts of space is a much
   less common skill now than it has been in the past.  I know I don't
   have nearly as much of it as I'd like....

there's no reason that the sparc bootblocks can't parse the ufs to
find /boot.  alpha & pmax both do it in 7.5k and they have object
sizes that tend to be 1.5 times (or more) larger than sparc.  someone
just needs to go and make it happen.  :-)  cgd did a LOT of work to
make libsa usable in very small situations, for the alpha.  but that
was well after the sparc port had working bootblocks...