Subject: Re: Disk copy grumbles
To: Peter Eisch <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/02/2002 23:19:33
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>

> >>     tar cpf - .[a-z]* [A-Za-ln-z]* | (cd /mnt; tar xvpf - )
> >> # the funny set of patterns just avoids dragging /mnt into /mnt/mnt
>
> Just chiming in...
>
> I used to do stuff like that and I still would for reasons other than the
> purpose here.  I'd use it when splitting /usr/local onto it's own
partition.

> My alternate is to use dump/restore.  Similar incantation:
>     cd /mnt ; dump 0uf - /dev/sd0a | restore xvf -
>
> (or something really similar to that anyway)
>
> The fun part about doing things this way is that it won't traverse the
> filesystem and all the regex stuff is moot.  Then jump into /mnt/usr/mdec
> and do the installboot magic.

Can force tar to stick to one FS as well (cf. --one-file-sytem).
And, I could have specified a pattern that explicitly excluded
"/mnt".  (or use --exclude)

But, force of habit, I tend to list each thing I *want*... helps me
keep track of what I really am trying to copy (since I may not
be observant enough to notice that /home on this box is something
I might *want* to include -- even though it is on a different FS).

<shrug>  Courses for Hoarses
:>

--don