Subject: Disk copy grumbles
To: PORT-SPARC <Port-SPARC@NetBSD.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/02/2002 15:45:09
Greetings!
     I currently have a small (400M) sd0 in a SS2 with 1.5.2 already
installed.  Would like to add another (smaller!  :>) drive IN PLACE OF
sd0 -- moving the 400M drive to sd1 as /home, etc.
    No, don't want to hack the kernel to hardwire SCSI ID's etc.

    Figured I could install the smaller drive at say ID 4 (the 400M
set at ID 3).  Boot the system to single user (for installboot).  Then
    disklabel -e sd1    # single partition
    newfs sd1a
    cd /usr/mdec
    installboot boot bootxx /dev/rsd1a
    mount /dev/rsd1a /mnt
    cd /
    tar cpf - <pattern> | ( cd /mnt; tar xvpf - )    # yes, easier ways to
do this
    sync; sync
Then, bring the system down, swap the SCSI ID's (i.e. let the new smaller
disk be ID 3) and try to reboot.

Obviously, this isn't working -- else I wouldn't be writing!  :>

So, what am I missing?  A quick workaround is to just install a new system
and then
rm -r / and copy the other drive over... but that's too crude... :>

Thanks!
--don