Subject: Re: Two questions
To: Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
From: Paul NCC/CS <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/01/2002 09:27:36
Randall Stewart wrote:

> Greywolf wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Randall Stewart wrote:
> > # 1) It seems that since I have switched to building the
> > #    kernel with a -g/DEBUG option set I end up compiling
> > #    about 3 or 4 times until I get a success. The failed
> > #    attempts ususally end with a SIGBUS or some other such
> > #    thing (error 139 and a core). This seems to happen during
> > #    the ld of the kernel. I have tried playing a bit with the
> > #    ulimits to see if it is something like that .. but no luck
> > #    yet. The machine is not swapping (its got 64Meg) and the loader
> > #    is getting around 32+ meg... Anyone have any idea what tuneable
> > #    I need to tweak to get a compile every time :-0
> >
> > Have you verified that your memory is good?  This looks like a bad
> > memory error to me, especially since the loader is reporting less
> > memory than you actually have.
>
> Ok, I have set the self-test megs up to the full 64 and performed a
> test-memory..

Randall,
a pass in the mem test at boot up usually doesn't mean
much as I understand it. At least not on an intel pc. It's
the same for sparc's I think. The real test of ram is in the
heat of big build. Kernel for example. Bad mem can be
a bitch to diagnose. Good luck,

Paul,
Bureau of Met,
Australia.