Subject: Re: SPARCstation 2 boot options
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@GCI-Net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/31/2002 12:13:39
> > It won't be, if the price is too high I won't buy it.
>
> I remember some SS2's with minimal extras sold for under $10 on ebay once.

I think the problem buying this sort of stuff on eBay (et al.) is usually
the shipping
charges exceed the cost of the product!   :-(  Look for something "local"...

> Those things are a whopping 40mhz you know! My SS1 is only 20... The
> slowest machine on my block no doubt.
>
> > I'm guessing the only adaptor I might need straight away
> > would be a 10baseT transceiver if the ethernet port is AUI,
> > as I think it was on many of the Sun 3 systems.
>
> But that's a sun4 isn't it? I bought that AUI to RJ45 transceiver, cost me
> $20!

10Base2 transceivers are in the $2 range.  I try to run 10Base2 within
a particular room.  Then 10BaseT to go from room to room (centrally located
hub wired throughout the house).  Eliminates the need for a hub (and
associated cabling) *within* the room...

Also tends to mimic the technology I use in product designs...

> > I'll also need to dig up a hard disk, and may need to invest
> > in a drive sled, short SCSI and power cable, all of which I
> > can get fairly inexpensively from www.memoryx.net. They seem
> > to suggest that the SPARCstation 2 uses 3.5" 'narrow SCSI
> > drives', which I take to mean 8-bit, single-ended, 5 or
> > perhaps 10MHz SCSI.
>
> Don't know what yours is. Mine is 8 bit single ended narrow. It can fit 2
> drives. There are 2 50 pin connectors on the motherboard, but they are
> both on the same bus which is kinda wacky (from what I know about scsi).

Nothing unusual there.  SCSI is just a long wire with lots of "short stubs"
(key being *short*!) at intervals along it's length (I think no closer than
every "electrical 6 inches" or so).  An  unconnected drive just looks like
a length of cable *without* a stub.  (the short ribbon cable and the 1" or
so of foil inside the drive being the "stub").  Haven't looked, but I
suspect
there are terminations on the motherboard just past the (electrical) end of
the "last" internal drive (i.e. imagine none of the internal drives should
be
terminated?)

--don