Subject: re: /dev/audio working on SS2(!)
To: Glendon Gross <gross@xinetd.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2002 15:30:59

   To my delight, after building a kernel with sound support enabled
   for the SS2 and rebuilding all devices, I am able to cat
   files to /dev/audio and I can hear the sound!

   Now I'm going to see if I can use software like mpg123 to decode
   files.... I'm not sure what the limitations are, but at 25 Mhz I won't
   be too surprised if compressed audio is a challenge.

audio has been supported on the sparc port since virtually forever,
for the sun4c-class machines.  the CPU in the SS2 is actually 40mhz,
but the problem you'll find is that the audio is 8bit 8000mhz mono,
"phone" quality, not 16bit 44.1k stereo "cd" quality that the audio
in more recent sparcs have.  i think mpg123 has an option to downsize
the sample, i think see the port-sparc web page for details.

.mrg.