Subject: Re: /dev/audio working on SS2(!)
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Glendon Gross <gross@xinetd.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/2002 20:43:52
This is just too much fun!  I don't even care that the SS2 doesn't
have high fidelity audio...the point is that it works.  (!!)

There's something quite satisfying about playing my MP3 files
from my NFS-mounted directory on the SparcStation II....
it sort of beats inflation, if you know what I mean.  It proves
older hardware is useful for something.  ;)

And yes, I think it is 40 Mhz.   I had forgotten, I think it's the bus
that is 20 Mhz.  :)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Monday, January 28, 2002 at 20:23:02 (-0800), Glendon Gross wrote: ]
> > Subject: /dev/audio working on SS2(!)
> >

> > To my delight, after building a kernel with sound support enabled
> > for the SS2 and rebuilding all devices, I am able to cat
> > files to /dev/audio and I can hear the sound!
>
> Can you record anything with 1.5?  I've been unable to record with my
> SS-1+ using a newer kernel (1.5W).  See my post to this list about a
> week ago....

I have not tested recording but will do so and let you know the results.

> > Now I'm going to see if I can use software like mpg123 to decode
> > files.... I'm not sure what the limitations are, but at 25 Mhz I won't
> > be too surprised if compressed audio is a challenge.
>
> mpg123 does work, even on an SS-1+.  I can play a mono MP3 encoded at
> 64kbit/s, with a sampling of 44.1KHz, even while running X11 and typing
> this message, though moving the mouse causes skipping, especially if the
> window manager has to page in (over NFS -- this is a diskless
> workstation).
>
> 	$ mpg123 -m --8bit -r 8000 --au /dev/audio qq061001f.mp3
> 	High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
> 	Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
> 	Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
> 	THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
>
> 	Playing MPEG stream from qq061001f.mp3 ...
> 	MPEG 1.0 layer III, 64 kbit/s, 44100 Hz mono
> 	Warning, flexibel rate not heavily tested!

The above syntax works like a charm, thanks for your input.

> Running with '-v' even works with a local xterm, though then I can't
> type to a remote X client or move the mouse without causing lots of
> skipping, and this is with a monochrome bwtwo framebuffer (i.e. not
> moving very many bits to draw on the screen).
>
> However even without moving the mouse (only swisswatch as well as a
> local and couple of remote xload's ticking away), I get constant
> skipping when playing 128kbit/s streams.  Since your SS-2 is hopefully
> at least 40 MHz (not 25 MHz like this SS-1+) it should be able to do
> just fine (assuming you have enough memory and not too much else hitting
> the CPU), though of course what you hear isn't going to be very pleasing
> -- it's something like listening to hold music on the telephone, even
> with a good set of headphones or a wonderful external speaker it's still
> tinny.

The novelty of this is what I like... the fact that it works on
a medium (MP3) that didn't exist when the box was manufactured tickles me.

> I really only want the local NAS server to work, but with NetBSD the NAS
> server (voxware) uses liboss instead of /dev/audio and that part seems
> broken -- I only get noise.  See my previous post for more details.

Maybe it would be fun to do some work on this.  But the OSS drivers
are proprietary, aren't they?  Or does NetBSD include the source?

Regards,

Glendon Gross