Subject: Re: Sparc 5 newbie stuff
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2002 20:37:27
On Thu, Jan 24 2002 at 13:11:20 -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> So, my Sparc 5 became available for whatever I feel like running on it.  My
> first idea was to try setting it up running NetBSD.  I've put in a pair of
> drives, and I'm pretty sure they're both Ultra2/Wide/LVD.  I expected them
> to show up as Fast/Wide or Ultra/Wide, but in fact, they're just showing up
> as Fast/Narrow.  Does the SS5 not support wide devices?
Yes, but only as narrow devices (AFAIK).

> Anyway, the main reason I'm writing is that I'm having very weird behavior
> from "build.sh".  I'm running a 1.5Y snapshot, with a 1.5ZA kernel built
> last night or so.  If I don't set BSDOBJDIR, I get a complaint that /usr/obj
> doesn't exist while build.sh is trying to bootstrap nbmake.  If I set it to,
> say, /usr/src/obj, and make a directory /usr/src/obj, it goes for quite a
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly that's the problem.
> while, then fails because of too many symlinks - and /usr/src/obj has become a
> symlink to /usr/src/obj.
You can't use ${BSDSRCDIR}/obj as BSDOBJDIR because what happens is that
when make wants install the symlink ${BSDSRCDIR}/obj -> ${BSDOBJDIR} you get the
recursion you see. Even if you use OBJMACHINE and/or USR_OBJMACHINE you run
into problems, so the rule is: Never ever use /usr/src/obj as OBJDIR...

(Many moons ago I fall in the same trap and some kind soul helped me out...)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.