Subject: Re: Magma 2+1HS Sp: success!
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/22/2002 07:59:34
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 05:36:38PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> >> My Magma 2+1HS Sp now works, at least for smoke-test values of
> >> "works".  [...]
>
> The driver used to accept any baud rate (within certain ranges).  I've
> changed it now so that (a) it rejects baud rates that it can't achieve
> to within one part in 128 error

You should probably allow errors below 2% or something like that.  The
async 8N1 protocol allows for more error (but that depends on how the
receiver samples the data) and it isn't uncommon that the error is 1-2%
at higher baudrates (besides, there are devices with more limited baud
generators, which may have "large" errors at lower rates as well).

Some software (minicom, for example) doesn't let you to type in the
baudrate, so if the only way to get 115200 bps out of your driver is
to ask for 113636 bps, you won't be able to use minicom at all :-)

  -jm