Subject: Re: Quick and dirty mini isp?
To: Linc Fessenden <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2002 22:23:28
>don't have an ISP there for me to use while I am at my motel.  Since I
>have a t1 at my office I was wondering how I could slap maybe a
>sparcstation on the ethernet there and plug a modem into it for a quickie
>mini ISP for myself to dial into from my motel room.  Anyone have any
>ideas on how to do this in as easy a manner as possible?

Depending on whom you work for, this could be a career limiting move :-)
This sort of thing was very common many years ago - we've all done it.
These days however, companies spend millions setting up firewalls
to protect their networks and so take a very dim view of backdoors
on peoples desks.

Mind you companies that spend millions on network protection usually also
provide for remote access in a secure fasion.

So install mgetty - it does a good job of handling modems.
Configure the modem to NOT autoanswer, let mgetty do that.
After all if your box is hosed, you might as well not pay for the long
distance call.  The exact details depend a lot on your modem,
how you plan to authenticate, etc and how much time you have.
If you've not set this sort of thing up before - don't leave it until
the night before you leave.

--sjg