Subject: Re: Quick and dirty mini isp?
To: Linc Fessenden <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/2002 22:08:49
On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:50:34AM -0500, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> How would I go about setting up netbsd to be a quick and dirty mini
> isp?  Situation is I have to travel to a remote facility for business and
> don't have an ISP there for me to use while I am at my motel.  Since I
> have a t1 at my office I was wondering how I could slap maybe a
> sparcstation on the ethernet there and plug a modem into it for a quickie
> mini ISP for myself to dial into from my motel room.  Anyone have any
> ideas on how to do this in as easy a manner as possible?

Basically you need something to anserw the phone when it rings. A chat
script can do this:
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
ABORT 'NO DIALTONE'
''
at OK
''
RING ata CONNECT

then you can setup a /etc/ppp/options using this script to connect, and
providing IP addresses:
/dev/tty00 115200 modem crtscts debug
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -t 1800 -f /etc/ppp/wait.chat"
netmask 255.255.255.0
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will be the local address (server), yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy the remote
(client). For the server address you can use its ethernet IP addr,
for the client you can use an IP of the server's LAN. Then the server will
have to do proxy-arp (which avoid adding a route to the server all over the
existing network): just add
proxyarp
to /etc/ppp/options.

For security you'll have to setup pap or chap, but for this I can't help you
much...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>