Subject: Re: Sidplay on an IPC
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/15/2002 16:30:16
On Tue, Jan 15 2002 at 09:46:05 -0500, Steven Grunza wrote:
> It's compiling now on my SS10 (1.5.1) but I doubt that I have any media
I would be *really* suprised if sidplay works on a SS10 since NetBSD doesn't
support the DBRI+codec audio hardware of the LX/SS10/SS20.

> files to use to test it.  Can you point me to any?
I found some sites with sid files using google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sid+tunes

> At 11:04 AM 1/15/2002 -0500, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> >I specifically mentioned that mpg123 works fine on this machine..  My
> >question, however, was about sidplay.  Has anyone on the list actually
> >used sidplay?  On a Sparc?
Yes, on a SPARCserver 5 (with some tweaking of the audio device with
audioctl.)

But it can't work on Sun 4c style audio without some source-level hacking,
even if you fix the problem with of the play rate using sidplay's "-f" option.
The reason is that the am7930 hardware/driver can only handle µlaw encoding
but sidplay wants linear encodings (I think it needs "ulinear_le").

A workaround would be using sid2wav (comes with sidplay) and than play the
produced file with audiplay:

sid2wav -u -f8000 tune.sid
audiplay tune.au

(sid2wav doesn't support piping :-( and using /dev/audio as output file
doesn't work either, hacking sid2wav to ouput to /dev/audio is probably easier
than hacking sidplay to use µlaw encoding...).

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.