Subject: Re: /dev/[r]sd[5,6]* devices by default ?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/10/2002 17:24:43
der Mouse wrote:

> Option 3 requires something like a devfs, which has been discussed
> before; I recommend that nobody post about its pros or cons without
> having read the past discussion on the subject.

Anyone any idea when, and to which group, they were posted?
Suggestions are that the email archive search facility is currently
broken :-)

> The second argument for it is that it trivially supports things like "I
> want this partition, but no other, to be RW to this user" (think
> database, run by database owner, writing to raw partition), which a
> naïve devfs doesn't.

Sort of why I suggested an overlay fs - also lets you do it driver by
driver.

Creating all the devices is out of the question...

PCI-PCI bridges work far too well - so you can add almost innumerable
(255) additional PCI chassis. Populate with any kind of disk controller.

Most of the disk drivers (probably) allocate all 20 bits of minor number
to devices - you definitely need a hierachical /dev if a lot are
present.

Even pseudo devices (like pts) would benefit from dynamic creation.

	David