Subject: Re: /dev/[r]sd[5,6]* devices by default ?
To: Volker Borchert <bt@csfps.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/10/2002 00:42:01
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Volker Borchert wrote:

# [ Cc: to <tech-kern@netbsd.org> removed ]
#
# |> > therefore it would make sense to have at least 7 default devices for
# |> > addressable devices (0-6).
#
# Anyone who has more than four disks on a box is probably not Joe Average,
# and can thus be reasonably expected to be able to MAKEDEV all he needs.
#
# |> And traditionally id 6 is a tape drive...
# |> These days 6 is more likely to be a CDROM.
#
# Sun systems have different traditions - 0..3 disks, 4..5 tapes, 6 cdrom.

While that is the 'default', in fact Solaris will find what it finds,
and damn the ID on the device.

I hardwire all storage peripherals, even on IDE buses, just so I don't
get any nasty surprises when I add a disk (which I've been doing
of late).

# |> When we were sizing systems, it was generally not considered worthwhile
# |> (from a throughput point of view) putting more than 1 disk on a scsi
# |> channel.
#
# "Configuration and Capacity Planning for Solaris Servers" shows some
# test results which indicate that about four disks on a narrow bus and
# eight to ten disks on a fast wide bus are optimal for access scenarios
# which are likely to occur on mostly attribute intensive NFS servers.
#
# Things are different for high volume data capture or video streaming,
# of course.
#
# 	Volker
#

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: "Progress on your system is closer than it appears."