Subject: RE: /dev/[r]sd[5,6]* devices by default ?
To: 'Brad Knowles' <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Ken Cross <kcross@nssolutions.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/09/2002 16:52:56
	When I was working at AOL, and we were architecting
low-latency/high-throughput systems, one of the rules-of-thumb that
we were given by the data/filesystems experts (including the key guy
from the team that built the world-renowned CLARiiON RAID array) was
that you should have no more than four SCSI disk devices per channel.
Indeed, we were told that this has pretty much always been the rule,
because as disk devices have gotten faster, so has SCSI.

----

A factor that totally invalidates that statement is the fact that
fiber-channel disks "look" like scsi disks to NetBSD.  We have
installations with many, many disks on a fiber channel.  In fact, the
problem we ran into was that the isp driver didn't allow enough LUNs for
all the disks.  (We hacked that locally.)

Ken