Subject: Re: Crinckled aluminum foil and Sun Optical Mice
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/19/2001 03:24:00
>>> Sun also sells a PC keyboard/mouse conversion box.  I'm currently
>>> using one so I can have access to my beloved IBM keyboard on my
>>> ultra. :)
>> Does it work the other way?  I'd love to be able to use a [Sun]
>> keyboard on my (lone) Inhell box.
> You don't need any sort of conversion box, except maybe something to
> bump the 5v signals from the keyboard up to 12v if the serial port on
> your PC needs it.  Oh, but you do need a cable to convert the
> connector appropriately.  (These are really easy to homebrew.)

Yes, and I have homebrewed setups with TTL<->RS232 level-shifters to
put Sun keyboards on serial ports.  That much I could handle without
any problem.

But the BIOS doesn't know squat about Sun keyboards on serial ports.  I
want the Sun keyboard to be _the_ keyboard on the Intel box; that's why
the desire for a real converter.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign