Subject: Re: Sparc-10, NetBSD-1.5.1, FSBE/S, DNES-318350N: no go?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/17/2001 13:20:13
On Mon, Dec 17 2001 at 12:18:37 +0100, Volker Borchert wrote:
> The server is a Sparc-10/41 with 96 MB RAM, two FSBE/S, one bwtwo, and one
> qfe (which I hoped would be recognized by the hme driver since AFAIK it's
> simply four hme's on a single card but wasn't). It runs NetBSD-1.5.1.
>
> The disk is an IBM DNES-318350N which has worked flawlessly for about two
> years connected to an FSBE/S in a Sparc-2 running OpenBSD-2.3. It has a
Hmm. A SPARCStation 2 won't do synchronous/"Fast"-SCSI.

> single "d" partition spanning the whole disk. It is mounted in a single
> unit SCSI box (type 411). It used to share the SCSI bus with a HP C2249.
>
> Now I connected it to an FSBE/S in the Sparc-10. It shares the bus with
> an IBM DDRS-39130 and an IBM DORS-32160. And - it doesn't work. Sort of.
How are the drives/controllers detected by NetBSD (dmesg output)?

Is jumper J0202 set on the FSBE/S?
This might help to locate the link:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/SCSI/SCSI_FSBE_S.html
(I think it has to to be set in any case  - all I know about it is "set to
enable SCSI clock" see linked document)

Does the drive work well with the onboard SCSI host adapter?
Does the drive work well when it's alone on the bus?
Are the terminators of the "active" kind? (needed for Fast-SCSI)

Have you really, really checked that
a) the end of the bus/last drive is terminated
b) no other drive has termination on
(BTW: Sometimes a jumper means "enable Termination" and sometimes "disable
Termination", so check the documentation...)
c) no drive delivers "termination power" (sounds evil, huh?) to the SCSI
bus (needed for the active termination)
d) if you have some kind of multimeter/DMV you could check if the PTC "fuse"
of the FSBE/S is still working, if it's not enable termpower on one of the
drives (though very unlikely that they're dead)...

If this all doesn't help you can disable synchronous negotiation for
some/all targets with flags in your kernel config file (see manpage for
esp(4)) - performance will degrade of course, but maybe you can get it
working.

I hope I didn't get it wrong and it helps,
	Thilo.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.