Subject: re: Ultra 1 Performance
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/17/2001 12:32:56

   I saw a data sheet which implied that there is a shared data path for the
   two channels.
   This means that you have problems if you have more than one disk per
   controller.  We had 4 controllers with a disk each - until someone
   decided sound and integrated video were more important.
   With 2 discs per controller (master on each channel) you get horrid
   read errors...

the netbsd driver must be fine with this;  i have 4 disks attached
to my pc164's onboard pciide....

pciide0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: CMD Technology PCI0646 (rev. 0x01)
[ ... ]
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
wd1(pciide0:0:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
[ ... ]
wd2(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
wd3(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)

i'm actually able to get >7MB/sec but it maxes out at around 130
transactions per second...  it's my mp3 server for home so speed
isn't really much of an issue :)

.mrg.