Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: David Laight <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/28/2001 18:09:52
Greetings and Mastications!

>> I *would* be curious, though, to hear if others *have* seen memory
>> problems that truly were "defects" and not just "poorly installed"
>> parts, etc.
>
>I even know someone who fixed a duff SIMM....

Well, when DRAM was "expensive"  :>  I reworked a 1Mx8 SIMM
by replacing the x1001's with x1004's I had received as samples
(IIRC, move an address line and *add* an address line).

The finished part worked -- but hardly worth the time involved
(even with SMT tools for the rework).

I can also recall buying 32K (!) x 1 DRAMs (Motogorilla, IIRC)
and building "pigs" (piggy-backing two) due to shortages of
64Kx1's...

(sigh)  Recalling paying $500/4MB "in quantity" sure makes today's
prices a helluva deal!  :-/  ($25 / 256M???)

--don