Subject: Re: Porting code
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/28/2001 11:47:03
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> I think the big difference is that the FBSD camp has really
> just focused on *one* port (i386) and "the rest be damned"
> (though there is now an attempt to backfill to other
> platforms... yeah, right.).  As a result, often hooks
> exist and implementations rely on x86/PC specific things.

Just to be fair... it's true that there is a lot of x86 specific stuff in
FreeBSD, but significant efforts are being made to port to other
platforms. One of my co-workers is Jake Burkholder who's doing the sparc64
port, and they've gotten it to boot multiuser already. Of course, there's
still a lot of endian-ness problems to work out. But the "attempts to
backfill to other platforms" are happening and with some success.

- Julian

--
[      Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com> * <julian@dreaming.org>       ]
[     WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/  * PGP: 0xFDC205B9      ]