Subject: re: sparc/sparc64 gcc CFLAGS for optimization
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/28/2001 13:55:51

   Actually, since *we* control the specs entries for NetBSD, we can keep these
   around indefinitely for NetBSD/sparc.

   I haven't checked on this one, but a lot of annotations like this in the
   .info file say that things will be deleted in 2.9, but 2.95 still has such
   features....

i believe it started in gcc 3.0.  we really should use the -mcpu
and -mtune options.

   =====

   Note that as far as mul/div goes for sparc, we really should have libc stubs
   (sort of like how libm_i387 works on i386) that replace the long
   v7-compatible libcalls with quick v8-instruction ones based on the system
   type.  This can be configured to happen in ld.so.conf.  The overhead of the
   function call should be minimal, since a quick multiply or divide on v8+
   would not need a save/restore of the register window.

libc stubs?  you'd need an entirely different libc i believe.
the int mul/div insns will be used all over libc.

.mrg.