Subject: Re: Axil HWS310
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/27/2001 21:48:26
At 18:46 Uhr -0700 26.11.2001, Don Yuniskis wrote:
>>Hauke Fath uttered:
>>Looks like the 10 is special in that respect...
>>
>>About the same story here with two 4G Quantum Atlas III disks that ran
>>happily in a SS2 with NetBSD, run happily in the SS10 with Solaris 7&8 but
>>swamped a NetBSD 1.5 kernel with "bad parity" messages so that it barely
>>made it to multi-user.
>
>Hmmm... just out of curiosity, I assume these drives are *internal*?

Yep.

>It could be that NBSD hammers on the SCSI bus a bit more and, at
>the higher data rate, might lead to some ringing in a poorly
>terminated cable... (?)

Running Solaris 8, the machine is my main nfs & atalk fileserver, runs an
Amanda server for backup, runs C News... can't do much more hammering. No
drive-related quirks in more than a year. Bonnie maxes out the drives at 9+
MB/sec.

Back then, I slapped NetBSD onto the machine more out of curiosity. I
wanted it to route over ISDN, so Solaris was the only option. The kernel
performs great, and thanks to Zoularis, userland is bearable.  ;)

	hauke

--
/~\ The ASCII	                   "Those who are willing to sacrifice
\ / Ribbon Campaign                 essential liberties for a little order