Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
From: Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/2001 23:40:22
On 25-Nov-2001 Don Yuniskis wrote:
>> Julian C Dunn proclaimed:
>
> (hmmm... I had a "Tom Dunn" as a boss many years ago...
> though I suspect the name to *probably* be a bit more
> commonplace than, say, "Yuniskis"... :>)

Probably. In fact, there is another "Julian Dunn" out in England somewhere,
who, coincidentally to me, wrote an academic paper about FireWire (IEEE 1394).

>>Yes, the brackets, AFAIK, look like this (side view)

>>  XXXXXXXXXXXX |
>>  XXXXXXXXXXXX |
>> --------------+
>>  +          +
>>
>>Those little "+" signs represent the tabs to slide into the holes
>>on the base of the chassis. I don't know where you can get more
>>of them, but I'd love to know, too.
>
> Presumably, the disk itself occupies the "XXXXXXX" portion
> that I have added?

Correct. The link that someone else provided to an ordering page for these
brackets provides a better picture.

> One machine had a double slot CG6 (NFG).  I've also figured out
> that one of the modules is a third party (ikon?) centronics
> interface.  Yet another is a "bi-pro" adapter for sparcprinter?
> I have removed most as I don't see much use for them (though
> the CG^ would be useful -- as well as plugging two holes! -- if
> I can figure out what's wrong with it...)

Do you have a Sun monitor with which to test it?

> I intend to run the boxes headless so that's not a big issue.
> What I *would* like are NICs and a Pertec I/F...

There are single slot sbus NICs out there aplenty; I do not know if there are
ones with 10BaseT ports, but I own one with AUI and 10Base2.

>>If you want to plug 10BaseT into it, you'll have to buy an AUI<->10BaseT
>>transceiver, which shouldn't run you more than about $15 these days.
>
> The Classic has 10BaseT w/AUI.  The SS1+ and SS2 have AUI.
> Rather than looking for two different kinds of cards, I
> figure *use* the RJ45 on the classic for one I/F.  Then,
> *add* an AUI/10Base2 NIC for the *other* I/F.  This makes
> the best use of the existing ports on the Classic and
> just requires adding at most a 10base2 xceiver (assuming the
> NIC doesn't have a BNC already on it!)

That makes sense. Your best bet would be to find one of the sbus NIC cards for
the Classic and throw it in there. Then you have 10BaseT for one interface, and
a choice of 10Base2 or 10BaseT (using AUI transceiver) for the other.

> The house is wired with CAT5.  All feed *one* centrally located
> (not particularly accessible!) hub.  Within any particular
> *room* (office, workshop, etc.), I use 10Base2 to tie machines
> together.  This eliminates the need for additional hubs.  Any
> added hubs mean more things to find a place for, etc.  And, the
> wiring is much cleaner than having N lengths of CAT5 running
> around the room to tie the boxes to the hub.

This is similar to what I have running using my Sparc 2 as the gateway. The
internal AUI has a 10BaseT transceiver to talk to the cable modem, and the rest
of the network talks to the Sparc through its SBus ethernet card, which is
using 10Base2.

Point being: The cards you are looking for (with 10Base2 ethernet) DO exist.
There also exist, if you need one, AUI --> 10Base2 transceivers, although I
suspect these are much harder to find nowadays.

- Julian

[      Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com> * <julian@dreaming.org>       ]
[     WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/  * PGP: 0xFDC205B9      ]
[     "There is a world outside of this room, and when you meet it,      ]
[      promise me you won't meet it with a gun." -- 10,000 Maniacs       ]