Subject: Re: Hardware questions
To: Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/2001 15:07:03
> Julian C Dunn proclaimed:

(hmmm... I had a "Tom Dunn" as a boss many years ago...
though I suspect the name to *probably* be a bit more
commonplace than, say, "Yuniskis"... :>)

>On 25-Nov-2001 Don Yuniskis wrote:
>>      The SS1+ and SS2 appear to use some form of bracket
>> to mount the drives to the chassis (?).  While I happened
>> to have a few extra drives to make the machines *run*, I
>> currently don't have a reliable way of fastening those
>> drives to the chassis (unless I just start drilling
>> holes and screw them down).
>>      Can someone describe what these look like?  Perhaps
>> I might be able to spot something similar in my next visit
>> to the surplus shop.  Or, do they have some "special value"
>> (like SIMMs?) that causes them to be stripped from the
>> machines before sale?  (I had assumed their removal was
>> just a consequence of someone having pulled the drives, too!)
>
>Yes, the brackets, AFAIK, look like this (side view)

>  XXXXXXXXXXXX |
>  XXXXXXXXXXXX |
> --------------+
>  +          +
>
>Those little "+" signs represent the tabs to slide into the holes
>on the base of the chassis. I don't know where you can get more
>of them, but I'd love to know, too.

Presumably, the disk itself occupies the "XXXXXXX" portion
that I have added?

>>      Likewise, each of these machines have "slots" for
>> daughterboards -- three per machine, I think (though the
>> LX/Classic/IPC seem to have only 2?).  The unused slots
>> leave gaping holes in the back of the chassis -- which I
>> assume is not intended!  :>  I guess some masking tape
>> or bits of cardboard could plug them up... But, are there
>> some sort of "plug" that fits these openings?  If so,
>> what do they look like (again, so I know what to look
>> for...)
>
>Those are for the SBUS slots; presumably there were SBUS
>cards installed in the machine before they were tossed,

One machine had a double slot CG6 (NFG).  I've also figured out
that one of the modules is a third party (ikon?) centronics
interface.  Yet another is a "bi-pro" adapter for sparcprinter?
I have removed most as I don't see much use for them (though
the CG^ would be useful -- as well as plugging two holes! -- if
I can figure out what's wrong with it...)

I intend to run the boxes headless so that's not a big issue.
What I *would* like are NICs and a Pertec I/F...

>so the covers would have been removed. There
>are little flimsy metal coverings that fit the back openings,
>and they are about the size of the hole with two metal prongs
>sticking out the bottom to fit into the corresponding holes on
>the back of the computer.

Yes, I've received a feew descriptions.  I will try to see if
I stumble across anything that vaguely fits what my imagination
conjurs up.  Sun things aren't very common at this place.
Seems to be mostly Pea Sea stuff (not very appealing to me).

>>      Also, I would like recommendations for NIC's that
>> implement "10MHz" ethernet with AUI or AUI/10Base2 (!)
>> interfaces.  Obviously, this would let me turn boxes
>> into small routers...
>
>I presume you mean 10 Mbps...

Yes.

>any standard PC Ethernet NIC should talk to the Sparc.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my explanation...
I am looking for NIC's (SBUS) that have 10Base2 or
10Base2/AUI FOR THE SPARC BOXES to "turn (them) into
small routers".  I'm not worried about the Pea Sea
aspects...

>If you want to plug 10BaseT into it, you'll have to buy an AUI<->10BaseT
>transceiver, which shouldn't run you more than about $15 these days.

The Classic has 10BaseT w/AUI.  The SS1+ and SS2 have AUI.
Rather than looking for two different kinds of cards, I
figure *use* the RJ45 on the classic for one I/F.  Then,
*add* an AUI/10Base2 NIC for the *other* I/F.  This makes
the best use of the existing ports on the Classic and
just requires adding at most a 10base2 xceiver (assuming the
NIC doesn't have a BNC already on it!)

The SS1+ and SS2 only have AUI.  So, I can either put
10Base2 or 10BaseT transceiver on that built-in port.
But, then still need to find a NIC for the *other* I/F.
Sure, I could buy a 10BaseT NIC but then end up with
10BaseT NIC's in one use (SS1/2) and 10Base2 in the
other (Classic).

Of course, if there *aren't* 10base2 NIC's, then this
is a moot point -- since I would have to add a transceiver
to the NIC in this case as well.  Obviously, better to
buy the 10BaseT card, then and put a 10Base2 xceiver on
the builtin AUI port.

Hmmm... maybe the *best* solution (assuming 10Base2 NICs
are nonexistent?) is to always use 10BaseT NICs.  *Ignore*
the builtin RJ45 (10baseT) on the classic -- stick a
10base2 transceiver on the classic's MII connector and
*add* a 10baseT NIC for the other I/F...

:-(  Sorry to be "thinking out loud"...

Just to put things in perspective and hopefully clarify...

The house is wired with CAT5.  All feed *one* centrally located
(not particularly accessible!) hub.  Within any particular
*room* (office, workshop, etc.), I use 10Base2 to tie machines
together.  This eliminates the need for additional hubs.  Any
added hubs mean more things to find a place for, etc.  And, the
wiring is much cleaner than having N lengths of CAT5 running
around the room to tie the boxes to the hub.

Placing a box (IPC, Classic, etc.) as the bridge/router
connecting the CAT5 that runs off to the central hub to
the RG58 that feeds the "local" network solves the problem
of mating the two media.  It also lets me operate each
"local" network independantly of the other networks in
the house (makes them more independant).  This is very
useful for some of the development work I do -- it allows
me to keep traffic on a particular network restricted to
only those boxes that need access to that network
(think:  distributed control systems) without worrying about
how network traffic is adversely affecting the performance
of the distributed system.

--don