Subject: Ultra 1 netbooting woes (repost)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/23/2001 23:23:48
I posted this to port-sparc64 about a week ago, but nobody replied.
So, since I think the sparc port shares the drivers in question, I
figured I'd see if anyone on port-sparc knows what's going on here:

I'm trying to get NetBSD on a 143MHz Ultra 1 (that's currently running
Linux, FWIW), and so attempted to boot the latest NetBSD snapshot I
could find over ethernet.  The ofwboot.net and kernel are:

>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.5
>> (root@setting-sun.duskware.de, Fri Oct 26 21:19:47 MEST 2001)

NetBSD 1.5Y (GENERIC) #82: Mon Oct 22 16:24:10 EST 2001
    mrg@powerofseven.eterna.com.au:/orb/a/obj.sys/GENERIC

But, when detecting the qec card I have, it seems to hang after
recognizing qe3, but before printing the address, like this:

qec0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x20000 vector 4 ipl 2: 128K memory
qe0 at qec0 slot 0 offset 0x0 rev 1 address 08:00:20:82:5c:42
qe1 at qec0 slot 1 offset 0x0 rev 1intr_establish: intr reused 7c4
 address 08:00:20:82:5c:42
qe2 at qec0 slot 2 offset 0x0 rev 1intr_establish: intr reused 7c4
 address 08:00:20:82:5c:42
qe3 at qec0 slot 3 offset 0x0 rev 1

...and stops there.  Since I've read in the archives for this list
that the qec/qe driver has had problems in the recent past, I tried
booting with the qec physically disconnected.  This got me all the way
to trying to mount the root filesystem from le0, except that the RARP
query fails; the corresponding link light on the ethernet switch is
off at this point, which might have something to do with it... the
relevant boot messages here are:

ledma0 at sbus0 slot 14 offset 0x8400010: dma rev 2
le0 at ledma0 slot 14 offset 0x8c00000 vector 21 ipl 6: address 08:00:20:82:5c:42
le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
[...]
root on le0
mountroot: trying msdos...
mountroot: trying cd9660...
mountroot: trying lfs...
mountroot: trying nfs...
nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
revarp failed, error=51
mountroot: trying ffs...
no file system for le0
cannot mount root, error = 79

So does anybody know if I'm missing some important detail, or I need a
newer kernel, or I need an older kernel, or in general why this isn't
working?

Thanks in advance,
--Jed

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."