Subject: boot partitions on non-ultrasparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/19/2001 00:48:33
After having trouble getting a ss20 to boot from disk3:e (6GB into a 9GB
disk), I went searching for answers and found some rather distressing
news: unless you've got a prom version >= 3, you aren't safe with a root
filesystem > 2GB.  It's not clear from bug reports whether or not this
is an inode issue (with the PROM and finding the kernel) or some other
basic problem (PROM doesn't understand offsets > 2>31 or some such).
The "inode issue" apparently refers to inode numbers for the kernel being
too high for /kernel/unix on (say) a 3GB /.  Given I've successfully put
an installed copy of Solaris onto a 3GB / (and booted it), I'm not sure
what to make of this apart from /kernel/unix receiving a low inode #.

What sort of problems have people had with NetBSD, if any, with boot
partitions > 2GB or starting past 2GB on a disk ?

My personal experience, to date, has been to have it load the NetBSD
boot block/loader from somewhere out around 6GB land (at the start of
a partition), only to have the next step fall in a heap.

Is there anything we can reasonably do to make it work?

Darren

p.s. on older proms, such as sun4/sun4c, there's a 1GB limit for /