Subject: Re: Question about activating SoftUpdates.
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/08/2001 20:03:08
On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 07:49:09PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	Right, but because you didn't change /etc/fstab, if you want
> to re-re-enable soft updates again, you have to re-run the mount
> command again.  If you used the tunefs solution, you might have to

No, because if I didn't change fstab I *don't* want it to be enabled again,
unless I do it explicitely by hand.

> run tunefs+mount once, but then you don't need to run it again until
> you explicitly decide to disable softupdates.
>
> 	I don't want to sound argumentative or anything, but I'm just
> not understanding why you'd want to always have soft updates turned
> off on boot (although you know that this will change in the future),
> and then to manually re-enable it every time for those filesystems
> where you want it.  It just isn't making any sense.

I have machines where it's turned on at boot (via fstab).
On some machines (usually servers) I want to turn it on temporarely
(e.g. to extract a source tree) and then leave it off for normal use
(this is where I would use async before).
The fact that softupdate-enabled filesystems leave files in lost+found
after an unclean shutdown is annoying for some applications.
In this situation I want the machine to reboot without softuptates.
Eventually I'll turn it on again if what I was doing didn't finish.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>