Subject: NetBSD/sparc now using new toolchain
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/2001 16:07:33
Folks...

Today, with some help from Martin Husemann (who tested and helped get
the profiling support working with the new compiler), I switched the
sparc port to the new toolchain (i.e. USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN=yes).  Both
the sparc and sparc64 port now use the new toolchain, which is based
on GCC 2.95.3 and Binuitls 2.11.2.

You shouldn't encounter any problems with the new binaries, and
building the system should now be a little easier.

The main upshot of this is that cross-builds of NetBSD/sparc (with the
exception of full snapshots due to host tool issues) is now quite trivial,
so if you have a fast PC and want to use it to build binaries for your
slower SS2, you can do that (I'm using my laptop to build the world for
my SPARC Classic now :-)

If you encounter any trouble with the new toolchain, don't hesitate to
ask on tech-toolchain and/or submit bug reports using send-pr(1) (esp.
if you manage to come up with a fix for your problem).