Subject: Re: Netscape, Mozilla, SOMETHING please
To: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
From: None <UberTechnoid@Home.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/2001 15:15:33
You might try an earlier version of Netscape than 4.77.  I ran 4.5? on my
Sparc under Solaris 2.4 and it worked pretty darn well.  Only very
recently did the lightbulb go off in my head as to how Xwindows is
structured.  I allways wondered why TCP/IP local loopback was (at LEAST)
needed to run it until A couple of weeks ago I started fiddling with the
SET DISPLAY= variable and WHAMMO had Netscape Gold 3.03 from my vax
showing it's self on my OS/2 warp desktop.

I was floored. GOGGLE as you would put it. '-)

Now I understand.  It is Big.  Very Big.

Yeah.  Netscape for VMS on Vax.  I was pleasantly surprised too. I was
also very plesantly surprised at how well Dec's X works with my other X's
on other machines.  The syntax is a BIT different....

Set/display/create/node=sunbox/transport=tcpip

(On VMS)

Is equivalent to

Set display=vax:0.0

(In BSD on my Sparc)

The Vax in question is a Vaxstation 4000/60 with 48mb ram and two 2gig
scsi hard disks, 8bit color framebuffer and a 19" trinitron monitor.
Don't care much for the 'hockeypuck' mouse but it is still a pretty nice
box.

My sparcstation is a 4/330 with 64mb ram, 8bit color framebuffer, 17"
trinitron, and type4mouse/keyboard, with a 4.5gb scsi hard disk.

The Warp machine is a 700mhz Celery with 320mb ram, and a 30gb hdd, 32mb
Nvidia video, and a PCI SB Live! audio card.

I also have a DataGeneral MV4000/DC minicomputer (big monkey) with 8mb and
a 9track.  Runs AOS/VS II.

If you like this stuff, you ought to check out the CLASSICOMP mailing
list.  I've been a member for years and these guys and gals are SHARP.
Still, I was on my own for the DataGeneral machine.  That is a saga for
another time and another group....

Regards,

Jeff

Jeffrey S. Worley