Subject: Re: Fw: blinking lights and video artifacts
To: der Mouse <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/27/2001 21:59:55
>> Note, however, that I have also noticed the behaviour when *SHIFTING
>> RIGHT* as well as left!
>
>It's probably some common piece of code.

Of course...

>>> Now, whether there is also a similar bug in some ROM versions, I
>>> don't know; I've seen no behaviour that makes me think so.  [...]
>
>> From the OFW prompt, there doesn't (?) appear to be a way to move the
>> cursor to the left *in* the command line
>
>Emacs-style works for me (^B, ^F, ^E, ^A, etc).

Ah, hadn't known that option existed.  I'll try to remember
to test that when I next have the opportunity to drag out a
monitor.

Will have to dig through the openboot docs some day and see
what other goodies are contained therein...

>I've had a brief look at the rasterconsole code.  It seems that the
>problem is that rasops_copycols assumes character cells are
>byte-aligned and multiples of 8 bits wide.  This fails for many fonts
>on the bwtwo.  (I suspect much of the rest of the file has similar
>problems.)  However, I don't see why this would cause the observed
>misbehavior...I'll look at it in more detail sometime.

I suspect it would be more of an issue with folks using
a console on the box.  If it hasn't caused a stir thus far,
I imagine this isn't a common setup...  (e.g., run X or
run headless)

--don