Subject: "file-system MSDOSFS" in sparc/GENERIC?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Seklecki <lavalamp@burghcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/2001 02:24:30
From:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/syssrc/sys/arch/sparc/conf/GENERIC?rev=1.121.2.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

file-system     MSDOSFS                # MS-DOS FAT filesystem(s)

I see that this is enabled in sparc/generic, so technically I should be
able to read an FAT formatted ZIP disc in a SCSI ZIP drive, correct?

In the example at:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#using-zips

...it's i386 and an IDE (atapi) ZIP, but it says to create a different
partition (h:) with a 32 sector offset, but that value obviously doesn't
work on a scsi/sparc drive (different geometry?).  I get:

disklabel: warning, partition a: offset % cylinder-size != 0

..when I try to create an a: partition with a 32 sector offset, and a size
that = (total sectors - 32) like so:

#        size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
  a:   196576       32      MSDOS       0       0
  c:   196608        0     unused                  # (Cyl.    0 - 95)

Here are the important values from the disk's gemometry:

bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 32
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 2048
cylinders: 96
total sectors: 196608
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

So I tried to replace 32 with: 64,96 with appropriate partition size
adjustments.  2048 finally worked, but now when I go to mount /dev/sd1a
(there's already a live MS-DOS file system on there, I've technicially now
allowed NetBSD to see it), I get:

# mount -t msdos /dev/sd1a /mnt
mount_msdos: /dev/sd1a on /mnt: Invalid argument

I also tried changing the partition type of "c:" to MSDOS and I get:

# mount -t msdos /dev/sd1c /mnt
mount_msdos: /dev/sd1c on /mnt: Invalid argument

Ideas?

-lava