Subject: Re: Serial mouse on Sparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, UberTechnoid@Home.com>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/13/2001 23:14:00

| I've got a perfectly good Sun optical mouse (with the silver/blue-gridded
| pad), but I'd like to hang a plain old Microsoft serial mouse off one of
| the four com ports and use it instead.
|
| The optical mouse it runs presently just kinda bites.
|
| I looked around quite a bit before posting this question.  There is a
| driver package called RAT_11 for Solaris to do this, but more information
| than that I don't have.
|
| I looked for the Xconf file all over.  Docs on the web say Xf86conf which
| make sense for the Intel folks, but I have no such file and so can't edit
| it manually.  Is there an analogue to XF86Config or XF86Setup for sparc I
| should be aware of? Where is the X11R6 configuration file?

SPARCs do not use XFree86.  They use the Xsun server.  That server uses a
specific protocol to get keyboard and mouse events from the kernel.  So
messing around with XF86Config won't help any.

If you want to use a mouse on a serial port, you either need a mouse that
uses the same communications protocol as Sun mice do, or write a driver
that translates whatever protocol the mouse uses to firm events.  Then
you can edit your config file so the mouse attaches to whichever serial
port you have hooked your mouse to rather than the standard sun mouse
attachment point.

Alternatively, Sun has switched to mechinical mice some 5 years ago.
You could order one of those instead, which should be a direct replacement
for your optical mouse.  But Sun replacement parts tend to be more
expensive than off-the-shelf parts.

Eduardo